For Jonathan

I took this picture on a cold winter day in 2016 at Flushing Meadows Park in Corona, New York. Corona is a small town in Queens and is best known for the "Lemon Ice King" featured at the end of the trailer for the sitcom "The King of Queens". I grew up within walking distance of both the park and my favorite year-round snack. Having just finished the flavor of the week I came upon a folk of seagulls by the lake. I named the main subject of this picture Jonathan because it was the first thing that came out of my mouth as I quickly knelt down, focused, and took the shot. I first read about Jonathan in the '70s while attending Halsey Junior High School P.S. 157 in Rego Park, N.Y. while in 7th grade. I remember him soaring above the clouds, ever seeking greater heights. In my mind's eye, I flew next to him dreaming of what would come to me in life if I were as bold as Jonathan. Now over 45 years later I still seek greater heights in my understanding of life, God, and creation; Though I have soared higher than I had ever imagined, I have yet to find the ceiling. For our creator, our Heavenly Father is truly infinite.

11 Wonderful Quotes from Jonathan Livingston Seagull

“Jonathan Seagull discovered that boredom and fear and anger are the reasons that a gull’s life is so short, and with these gone from his thought, he lived a long fine life indeed.” (Richard Bach, 2006, 26) "His sorrow was not solitude, it was that other gulls refused to believe the glory of flight that awaited them; they refused to open their eyes and see.” (Richard Bach, 2006, 25)

Get the Book, "Jonathan Livingston Seagull" at Amazon